SPD_FRK

6B31 [Reloaded]

14 posts in this topic

Figured this would be something a few of us would be interested in seeing. The 6B31 (3.0L MIVEC) engine is completely new and nothing like the 6G7X series engines, very little in fact is similar. I will be adding more photos, and a few measurement specs just to "feed" the brains a little around here.

Specifications

Engine type

interesting, while I don't doubt there's nothing that is interchangable between the 6g7 line and the 6b31 engines, I can't help but see the similarities, the exhaust manifold configuration (you know, the rear bank manifold has very little angle in relative to the head), the rocker arm set up looks very much like the 6g75 MIVEC, the exhaust side rockers especially look almost identical to the rockers on the 6g7's, to name a few

hmm, I wonder because the block is aluminum that a single knock sensor can't accurately or quickly enought pick up knock when it occurs in either bank

hmm, I wonder because the block is aluminum that a single knock sensor can't accurately or quickly enought pick up knock when it occurs in either bank

I dont thinks its because its aluminum....I think its for more accurate engine managment especially because you have MIVEC on both heads.

But then again..thats my opinion, Matt is the certified Mitsu tech around here. :)

Besides being quieter, is there any reason they still use timing belts instead of chains? The zero-maintenance of it all is why I like seeing chains.

Either way, it's interesting to see the internals on that. I guess it goes without saying that these motors won't just drop into my bay, or will they?

interesting, while I don't doubt there's nothing that is interchangable between the 6g7 line and the 6b31 engines, I can't help but see the similarities, the exhaust manifold configuration (you know, the rear bank manifold has very little angle in relative to the head), the rocker arm set up looks very much like the 6g75 MIVEC, the exhaust side rockers especially look almost identical to the rockers on the 6g7's, to name a few

The rocker shafts and arms are pretty much the 6G75 MIVEC parts. The rocker arms in fact have 6G75 stamped on them, or 6G7 at least. I will photo those next week to add to this.

I'm still hungry...feed me more!

What specifically do you want to see? I have to snap some photos of the bottom end, crank sensor setup is far different and pretty cool.

Besides being quieter, is there any reason they still use timing belts instead of chains? The zero-maintenance of it all is why I like seeing chains.

Either way, it's interesting to see the internals on that. I guess it goes without saying that these motors won't just drop into my bay, or will they?

The timing belts are from a new manufacturer and now have a life span of 105K miles vs the previous 60K miles.

The timing belts are from a new manufacturer and now have a life span of 105K miles vs the previous 60K miles.

That's cool, my Honda's timing belt is rated at 105K as well, much better than 60K.

What specifically do you want to see? I have to snap some photos of the bottom end, crank sensor setup is far different and pretty cool.

The heads: Ports, cams, etcs.

Added the following to original post;

Intake Valve = 35mm

Exhaust Valve = 30mm

Exhaust Ports = 30mm

Exhaust Gasket = 50mm (20mm material area that can be taken out to port match exhaust side of cylinder heads

Is it me, that the 6B31 took the best technology from the 6A12 and 6G75, and put it one engine?  Like the water pump and water pump output design is similar to the 6A12...6G75 intake ports with 6G75 rocker arms design.

I will have some photos of the lower intake manifold side by side of the 6g75. The 6B31 lower manifold design is about the same, but with some little design changes to the runners

Hi guys since we are talking about the 6b31 do you know if there is a way to turbo it or supercharge it since i find my 2014 outlander v6 lack some power and i dont want to hop for a sawp

There was a prototype supercharger system on a demo car for an auto show a few years back. It was a Rotrex type charger. Either turbo or super, it will have to be custom as no off the shelf kits are made.