Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IheartJDM

aftermarket shocks.. necessary?

8 posts in this topic

Ok. First off. Sorry if there is already a thread for this, I looked but didn't find one that answered my question clearly enough. Second, yes I've done prior research lol.

I have found some lowering springs for an unbearable price. If I put those on, is it necessary to replace the shocks with some like kyb or tokico? I have read it is recommended because the factory one MAY not hold up to the lower center of gravity. I have also read that it is pretty much a requirement to make it work. Also, camber kits.. how important are they when lowering the car? Sorry, my last car already had all of these when I bought it so I didn't care to research it more in depth back then.. any help would be awesome cuz I am supposed to go pick them up on Friday. Thanks guys.

your factory shocks will eventually blow out, especially if they're still the stock ones the car left the factory with, lowering springs will only kill them at an accelerated pace. If you're gonna be using springs, I would recommened the KYB AGX shocks for the best longevity with a mild drop. If you think you're going to want to lower the car a lot, save, buy coilovers, and call it good.

That's what I thought. What about a camber kit? If I go with a mild drop (maybe 1.5"-2") and I don't want camber in the wheels, should I get a camber kit?

a 1.5" drop should leave you within camber specs, but it wouldn't be perfect, it is not necessary unless u wanna replace tires, but it is recommended to do a camber kit and alignment whenever you lower your car

Thanks. You guys are awesome. I haven't been on GT even a week but I have already come across a good bit of useful knowledge.. especially on the 5speed swap that I plan to do. Thanks again.

You can use a 3G application on your 8g as long its the similar engine size whether it be 4cy or 6cyl. This is because of the spring rate for the difference in weight for the motor size.

You stock shocks are valved for oem height and generally if you lower the car more than 1inch it could accellerate the failure of the shock to be blown. KYB AGX and even Tokicos are great oem replacement shocks/struts as they are valved for more aggressive handling and lower vehicle height. Though they have limits too...if you plan to lower the car more than 3 inches its best to invest in a decent set of unibody coilovers instead of the sleeve type coilovers.