Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SPD_FRK

Stock/Brembo Upgrade Spec Sheet

24 posts in this topic

This information is to help those of you wanting to upgrade your current stock brake system to the common Brembo setup. The information posted here is gathered from actual measurements of the items, or from specs obtained directly from the Factory Service Manual (FSM). To understand some of the items listed you will need to have some understanding of hydraulic force, and force multiplication.

the stock calipers specs you listed are for the 6cyl since the 4cyl came with a single piston on the front and rear drum so you might wanna edit that nice info though

the stock calipers specs you listed are for the 6cyl since the 4cyl came with a single piston on the front and rear drum so you might wanna edit that nice info though
Good catch man. Any chance you or anybody else here can get me the diameter of the piston on that caliper? I will go in and edit that now.

not all v6's have dual pistons

not all v6's have dual pistons
What V6 models aren't equipped with the dual piston up front??? The way I understood it was the V6 models had 4 wheel disc brakes, or am I wrong there?

i will try to find my old single piston calipers and get you the measurement as far as what v6 came with the dual piston, im not sure about that, ill try and do some search on it

i will try to find my old single piston calipers and get you the measurement as far as what v6 came with the dual piston, im not sure about that, ill try and do some search on it
Ok thanks man. I am confused as well because according to the FSM, the 3.0L models were 4 wheel disc, with the addtional weight of the powertrain system it wouldn't make sense to have a single piston up front and a single in the rear. That would give extremely uneven braking performance. I have been looking in the FSM and other sites to get someinformation but cant seem to find anything that says otherwise. The only thing I have found is that the 99-03 V6 models were standard with ABS (which as we know is all disc brakes), and the 4 cylinder ES models had the option of ABS.

i know a couple 2002 GTZ's that have single piston fronts i also know fo a 2001 es v6 that is single piston fronts.

i know a couple 2002 GTZ's that have single piston fronts i also know fo a 2001 es v6 that is single piston fronts.
How is the GTZ running single pistons up front? That is the top of the line model and has all the features. The GTZ I was tearing apart in the junkyard has the same brake setup that mine has (dual front/single rear). The only way they should have a single up front is if the rear is drum (but should't be the case as all V6s came standard 4 wheel disc). The single piston front is typical on a front disc rear drum brake system, so I wonder if at some point the caliper wasn't replaced, and very possibly incorrect replacement used.

How is the GTZ running single pistons up front? That is the top of the line model and has all the features. The GTZ I was tearing apart in the junkyard has the same brake setup that mine has (dual front/single rear). The only way they should have a single up front is if the rear is drum (but should't be the case as all V6s came standard 4 wheel disc). The single piston front is typical on a front disc rear drum brake system, so I wonder if at some point the caliper wasn't replaced, and very possibly incorrect replacement used.
no they are 4 wheel disk and never had brakes modified. i know its odd but alot of v6's came with single piston fronts. take a poll to see who has a v6 with single pistons stock

That is wierd as heck man. I am looking at section 35A-38 for the 3.0L engine and it shows single piston front caliper... :? How the heck am I sitting with a dual and its not even shown in the manual? lol I stand corrected! Would you happen to have access to getting the measurement off one of those single piston calipers for me to update the information here?

Yea that's completely weird. My GTZ has duals up front and singles in the rear as well. It's a 2000 manufactured in late 1999. And my copy of the service manual shows the same as yours on 35-38, a single piston. But on 35-35 that's surely a dual piston picture....I'm equally confused.

Yea that's completely weird. My GTZ has duals up front and singles in the rear as well. It's a 2000 manufactured in late 1999. And my copy of the service manual shows the same as yours on 35-38, a single piston. But on 35-35 that's surely a dual piston picture....I'm equally confused.
Maybe it was something done on the 1999 production vehicles?? My ES was manufactured early 99 so...yea....lol

i can see if my manual says it since mine came with singles. or i could measure one of the old calipers

i can see if my manual says it since mine came with singles. or i could measure one of the old calipers
Well either way it would be of help to us here. I haven't even had the chance to take off my stock rear calipers for those measurements yet. I still need the front single piston measurements as well.

i know when doing the dual piston caliper swap to get the calipers from a 99 v6 which makes sense then that they made the 99 v6 models all equipped with dual pistons and most likely wanted to cut some cost and went with single piston later with the other year models just like they made the early 99 models equipped with the manual tranny for a short period of time then switched to automatic and completely stopped the manual tranny on our cars

i know when doing the dual piston caliper swap to get the calipers from a 99 v6 which makes sense then that they made the 99 v6 models all equipped with dual pistons and most likely wanted to cut some cost and went with single piston later with the other year models just like they made the early 99 models equipped with the manual tranny for a short period of time then switched to automatic and completely stopped the manual tranny on our cars
Well it is starting to make more sense now, at least we are getting some more information to get the spec sheet more detailed....measurements though!

Here, let me clarify this: 1999 and the early production 2000 V6 models were outfitted with small dual piston model. Small in size compared to the bigger single piston caliper. Later 2000 production and beyond were upgraded (or downgraded for some) into single pistoned calipers.

Here, let me clarify this: 1999 and the early production 2000 V6 models were outfitted with small dual piston model. Small in size compared to the bigger single piston caliper. Later 2000 production and beyond were upgraded (or downgraded for some) into single pistoned calipers.
OK so I will have to update the specs to show 1999-2000.5 and then 2000.5+ for it to be more accurate. Now, how about anybody having the diameter measurement of the pistons on the 2000.5+ V6 Caliper and the 4cyl caliper

If any of you can obtain the piston diameter for the 4cyl model front calipers, and the V6 model single piston caliper it would be good to have so we can finalize this information

I noticed that the Brembos are only available for the fronts?

There is a company called K-Sport that has a kit of 8 piston front, 4 piston rears, including all braided hoses, disks, mounting hardware etc.

Fits straight on.

The Evo VIII Brembo setup is a direct bolt on for the 8th gen Galant and 3rd Gen Eclipse here in the states for models originally equipped with 4 wheel disc brakes. The Rear drum models just do a rear disc conversion to accomodate for the Brembo