Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxbrand

starting problems

11 posts in this topic

I can't seem to locate the correct forum for this

So, my Lebaron is having starting problems, I have spark, compression, and fuel (kind of, I'll explain). Also worth noting, the battery is having problems holding a charge, I have gone as far as rigging an umbrella to push down Mari's gas pedal (to hold the engine speed at 2200 rpm) to jump the Lebaron, which, does nothing really to start the car. BUT, every so often, the engine will fire twice (once went up to 2000 rpm for a half a second), then die. Anyway, onto what I have identified as the problem, first, I thought it was something with the anti theft, or any of the fuses, well, all fuses are fine, those that were blown were replaced, I have tried everything with and without it disconnected (no change), so, I tried putting some fuel into the intake (after disconnecting the battery for a few minutes with it on my charger) through the tiny ass throttle body, reconnected the battery, flipped the key, and vola, car instantly revs to 5800 rpm (for a solid 2 seconds), I slightly backed off the gas pedal, and the thing died again. Is it possible for this the be a symptom of a bad fuel pressure regulator, or is this closer to the sign of a bad fuel pump? I'm going to try throwing in my Galant's battery to see if it will actually start the car, but, is this still closer to a fuel system problem?

well from the sounds of it, its definitely a fuel problem. does it sounds like its misfiring when its started up? injector/injectors clogged or dead, fuel pump dead, fpr ive never seen oem ones just quit.

definitely not a misfire when it starts, more of, it doesn't have the steam to keep going when it is going (I would relax on the key once it fires a couple times), I was just driving this car last week, it was running perfectly, could this be closer tied to the battery?

hmm perhaps it really is the fpr.I doubt its the battery, that battery light should flash if it was in a case like that

While the battery has yet to really hold a charge, the battery light does not come on, I can at least get the fuel pump to prime by removing its fuse and reconnecting it, which does not help

OEM FPR's rarely fail...but it could be a possibilty. This could simply be a clogged or fautly fuel filter also and it sounds like your fuel pump is working.

Does the car have a TPS? Does it have a MAF sensor?

I would see if the TPS is functioning properly. My buddies Talon would run intermittenly kinda similar to what your Leberon is going through and come to find out the TPS bad.

When was the last time you replaced your fuel filter?

I just got the car a couple weeks ago, drove it last week, I can see if I can get a list of repairs done in the last 5 years (that I did not do) from the previous owner

tested the fuel pressure earlier, at cranking, fuel pressure is 50 psi, fuel pressure immediately plummets after I stop cranking

spec for this car is 39 psi +/- 5 psi, looks like it is the regulator, if not also at least one injector, on the bright side, I have a 6g74 fuel pressure regulator that looks like it could work......