Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skrap

Piston/Rod combo

17 posts in this topic

I am looking to build my motor and i am having a tough time locating some good after market pistons and rods for the 4g64. Can anyone help?? Any good sites to check out? I am going boosted. I want to keep within my budget though. Also i am trying to avoid eBay. If something is off by the littlest i am screwed.

You need to look a little harder. 4G64 connecting rods from 94+ are the same size as the 7 bolt DSM/EVO connecting rods. So a set of rods meant for a 7 bolt DSM will fit your 4G64. As far as pistons are concerned check with Race Engineering, just tell them what your looking for and they will get it. They keep a huge stock of parts and their phone tech support is really really helpful.

Yea, So Stewi i wrote u a long ass pm last night and i guess i didnt send it all the way.... lol I am looking to get some weisco pistons from extreme psi along with evo rods!!!!

Evo rods don't directly work on the "older" 4G63's if I read correctly from a thread on a DSM forum months ago.

Evo rods don't directly work on the "older" 4G63's if I read correctly from a thread on a DSM forum months ago.
When you say older do you mean 6 bolt? I know they wont work on a 6 bolt, but I know for sure they work on a 7 bolt. When my JDM EVO motor was rebuilt we used a crank from a 1g 94 4G63 non-turbo (7 bolt) in my EVO motor and it worked fine with EVO eagle rods. Skrap I did some looking around and it looks like your piston will need to be "custom" what I would do is contact Race Engineering and explain to them what your trying to do and explain your motor is the same orientation as a 2g DSM 4G63T but its a 4G64 block and head. If I were you I would also check slowboy racing, their customer service kinda sucks but they seem to have a good knowledge of the DSM/stroker/4G64 stuff.

Just did some more research on mitsubishiparts.com The price of a piston and rod for a 7g and 8g are the same price. Im wondering if its the same part#. My desktop isnt working right now and my CAPS program is on there. I will try and get this info tomorrow from my boy who has CAPS. If they are the same part#, you can just use them for an 8g (pistons)

If they are the same part#, you can just use them for an 8g (pistons)
this just confused me.

The 8th g pistons will owrk but i was talking to MKo last nihgt and he said that as long as its for a 7bolt 2G the pistons will work but i has to be like .085 over though... Ill post the ones im looking at in a bit...

well i know the 8g pistons are 86.5 mm bore, you can use evo 8 pistons if they are bored .020 over if im not mistaken, but then there was an issue with the wrist pin size. Damnit I dont remember the wrist pin thing the evo's might be the same. Now Im assuming that the internals on the 8g and 7g would be the same right?

Alright. All 4g64 motors use 86.5mm pistons both 6 block and 7 block. It depends what you find: you can use 6 bolt parts as 4g64 piston for Sonata motor /g4bx/ or whatever its called with 1g "big rods" with 21mm wrist pin, or 7 bolt parts which would be 2g or EVo rods /22mm wrist pin/ with piston specifically made for 4g64 /either 7g or 8g/ or 2g Eclipse pistons /85mm std. bore/ with 0.06'' = 1.5mm overbore to 86.5mm. For crank, I know you want the 100mm crank, so you can either get brand new Topline crank for 4g64, or use 8g 4g64 crank, which I heard, was supposed to be forged or go with Eagle one The only problem Ive ever heard of is with 6bolt rods. They are a little wider than 7 bolt and the block may need to be shaved a little, but thats no biggie at all.

So basically a 1g/2g 7bolt, 7g 4g64 7bolt, and Evo rods are interchangable from the information posted. This is good info. You could use the 1g "big rods" but like what Mko stated...there is little work to make them fit. Finding rods isn't much of a issue when it comes building the motor...its probably more difficult deciding on which rods you want depending on your power goals and budget. Pistons is going to be more of a problem..but you can call Weisco and get a custom set made for a 4G64 which isn't a problem since they have made sets before. I haven't shopped for pistons yet..but wouldn't surprised if there is a application that is for sale.

I personally will be going with manley pistons. they make standard bore of 86.5mm and 0.020'' over which is 87mm pistons with 8.5:1 CR with DOHC head

there is no need to mess with 1g rods and machine them to fit a 4G64 since they already make aftermarket rods for a 7 bolt which fit without custom machining. The thing at using a 2g oversize piston in a 4G64 is fine as long as you figure out the CR based on the volume difference between the DOHC and SOHC combustion chamber. The most important thing aside from CR is piston pin diameter and offset, if the offset is wrong, your boned.

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead but I read though this thread and I think I understand but I want to make sure. I can use evo rods with 86.5mm pistons, right? Do the pistons need to be for an evo as well if I use evo rods?

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead but I read though this thread and I think I understand but I want to make sure. I can use evo rods with 86.5mm pistons, right? Do the pistons need to be for an evo as well if I use evo rods?

Yes you can use the Evo rods. Pistons need to be for an 86.5mm bore with a 22mm pin.
MrGalantguy likes this