Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RaptorReed

1979 Galant Sigma Wagon

5 posts in this topic

Picked up a 79 Galant Sigma (Colt here of course) from a fellow old school mitsubishi friend of mine. Had been eyeballing it for a year or so as it started growing on me before I left for Iraq last year. Well I finally brought it home last week. $1000 for a running and driving car.

It needs new rear wheel cylinders,, front brake pads would help and even brake lines would be a good idea. Runs on a Weber 32/36 carb for now, haven't decided if I want to do something like R1 carbies on it or not, maybe in time because Weber 32/36 are only good as stock replacement carbs.

My only plans for this car is to slam it and nice wheels for it after doing the minor maintenance it needs. Totally opposite direction from my normal self, but fuck it lol. I need to find out if S13 control arms fit since they are the same style of arms or see about AE86 corolla stuff.

Unlike my earlier wagons or if you look at mazda, datsun, and toyota wagons of 70s-80s, all of them had leaf spring rear suspension...Well with these 3rd gen Galants, it was the beginning of multi-link rears! This has a 4 Link rear, but the lower links aren't links at all and actually are trailing arms with the coil spring perches unlike say a ae86 corolla sedan/hatch have  the coil spring perches on the axle themselves and linka top and bottom for their 4 link.

So that will be interesting to find a coil spring that has relatively the same size coil diameter and fits for lowering.

28t9rn6.jpg

2m7cec7.jpg

3485xzd.jpg

9j3bxw.jpg

mysticj likes this

andddd yeah 4g63 swap will happen soon lol. Then all 4 of my cars will run a 4g6x of some sort, HOWEVER I am most likely staying 8v SOHC unless I figure out if I can make a Montero Sport 16v SOHC 4g64 work in the car. That would take some research and finding some schematics for the Distributor plug wiring amongst if older engine brackets will bolt onto the block. For the time being or if all else fails with a MS sport engine, I will have the g63b in there already. Sports have a wideblock 7 bolt 4g64 with Evo deck casting, however the head that is on them retains the exhaust on the right and intake on the left unlike the actual 8g+ and Evo 4+ engines.

Also, with staying SOHC I will not be going EFI, going to stay carbureted and go with Yamaha R1 Motorcycle carbs. 

So after talking to a friend in Australia, I was able to get the part number I needed for a vacuum advanced distributor. He's actually working on adapting the same type of distributor to DOHC head which should be pretty neat if he gets it figured out. Reason for vacuum advance distributors? We run carburetors lol, he's building sidedraft setup in his 2nd gen galant. Just need to obtain a Montero Sport engine and trans now.