Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
4g63lover

Tire "skips" during hard left turns.

25 posts in this topic

I am having this issue with the Galant when I am making a hard left hand turn.

Some background on when it started.  A few weeks ago, I had to drive the car with some temporary tires on the front because of the weather.  The KD's were trying to kill me and I cant afford to buy a set of winter tires ATM.

PIC-0070.jpg

Anyways, the next day after I put the two temp wheels on, when the car took a hard left turn  the right side tire felt like it was skipping.  It's not a clunk, it doesn't sound like suspension or mechanical noise.  It feels and sounds like the tire is "skipping" on the pavement.

I put the GS-T wheels back on yesterday and took her for a drive and it still skipped on hard left turns.  I checked the ball joints and they are good.  I also checked the tie-rod ends and the right side has a little bit of play.

Has anyone experienced this before?  And could the tie-rod with only a little bit of play make the same noise?  It only happens during HARD LEFT TURNS.  She drives and tracks smooth during hard right hand turns and when going straight.

Try switching the tire to the other side of the car and see if it does it on the opposite side or not, if not, then it's not the tire and it has to me something mechanical.  From so many miles away, I have no idea what it could be without being in other than the usual, ball joints, tie rods, bearings, bushings, etc....

Try switching the tire to the other side of the car and see if it does it on the opposite side or not, if not, then it's not the tire and it has to me something mechanical.  From so many miles away, I have no idea what it could be without being in other than the usual, ball joints, tie rods, bearings, bushings, etc....

I can't the KD's are directional.

have someone stand outside to see as you are turning.  All i ould think of is the balljoints they usually make a clicking skidding type noise when they go bad.

have someone stand outside to see as you are turning.  All i ould think of is the balljoints they usually make a clicking skidding type noise when they go bad.

I've checked the balljoints.  No play whatsoever.

Idk we have an open diff, and that could play a factor with it. But i would agree that it would be binding at all speeds. I would put the car up on a lift and go through and tighten and check every bolt, and bushing for the front suspension. The would be the quicker way to find it, rather than replace one part at a time

I really really dont want to have to put another trans in this thing so I am hoping that it ain't the diff.  *crosses fingers*  Anyone know how I could prevent it from grenading?  If it was the diff, I'd rather try and save it before anything happens.  If it ain't the diff then it's all good.  The Galant is now my DD for all year so I cant afford to have her down not even a day.

LSD time lol, idk much about transmissions have you torn apart the front suspeseion yet and make sure everything is good?

Havent had time to go to my parents garage where my tools are at to rip it apart lately.  I'll most likely look it over on Thursday.

I am late on this thread..but sounds like a welded differential when taking extreme lock turns where the tires sound like they are "skipping".

You said the wheel bearing is shot..it doesn't make any odd noise while normal driving?

Should be a easy fix.

I am late on this thread..but sounds like a welded differential when taking extreme lock turns where the tires sound like they are "skipping".

You said the wheel bearing is shot..it doesn't make any odd noise while normal driving?

Should be a easy fix.

Yeah the wheel bearing is moving, I can hear a wheel bearing noise, though I cant pinpoint whether I am hearing it from the rear or the front..  The wheel doesnt skip at full lock.  It only skips on fast hard left turns.  If I take a left turn slow enough, it doesn't skip. 

Well...lift the car and tug on the wheel and if there is play replace the bearing. Do it before you keep eating chunks out of that tire or worse bro.

Should be easy to replace the wheel bearing.

Well...lift the car and tug on the wheel and if there is play replace the bearing. Do it before you keep eating chunks out of that tire or worse bro.

Should be easy to replace the wheel bearing.

Yeah I had the car up and checked.  The bearing is moving side to side.  I ordered the wheel bearing already.  Fortunately, I am not driving the car often so it's not doing much damage.  I just need to find the time to do it.  Right now, it looks like Thursday is the day I will get it done. 

For sure.  You couldn't bee 100% more co

Good deal bro...better a wheel bearing than a tranny. :)

For sure!  You couldn't be any more correct brotha!

I don't know what your budget is..but if you have the extra cash, might as well replace both sides. If not...totally understand, just saves the possibility of the other side going bad and replacing it.

I don't know what your budget is..but if you have the extra cash, might as well replace both sides. If not...totally understand, just saves the possibility of the other side going bad and replacing it.

Yeah I would but real tight on the cashflow right now.  Got some things I hafta pay for that will help me do more to the car and to everything in general when over with.