Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
philipichino

A/T to 5-speed

16 posts in this topic

a question probably asked by many young and new drivers but i was wondering did anyone here do it? i really want to try it out.

price, time and parts would be helpful too :)

I've done 3 swaps, it's hard the first time if you have no knowledge of how to do it, what parts to get, etc.

Yes has been done many times. I think there is a tut here somewhere......

there are none on here but i will get it from tgc

I thought we had the tutorial here on our archives here on GT...must of gotten lost during the server upgrade several months ago among other things. Good looking out Logan for getting it back here on GT.

i was wondering i just bought a whole 2003 eclipse with the 5 speed in it and i was wondering if had everything i needed already with the car to swap the tranny or do i need something else to do it all. i plan on swaping motor and tranny and rebuilding my stock one

nope, don't need anything extra, u can use everything that comes from the donor car, tho i recommend upgrading the flywheel and clutch while ur at it

yea i was gonna do that what would b a good set up cause i wanna turbo it nxt with maybe 8 to 10 psi and i dnt want the clutch  failing u no idk much bout 4cyls ive always been a v8 guy so im learning as i go with this stuff and we never ran manuals in or drag cars so i dont no much bout clutches

if u have a 2000 galant, u dont need to change the ECU, u wont have any issues with the swap, just gotta cut the starter lines at the transmission harness and jump them to be able to start the car, check the 8g tutorials for the swap info...its pretty straight forward

hey i dnt mean to keep bothering the only tutorial i found was one were they used a bunch of diff parts from diff cars and i didnt see nuttin bout the starter if i swap the motor and trans i still gotta cut wires to make it start. if so do u no what goes were and how. and mt automatic ecu will work with the manual tranny i dint no that thats pretty cool

yes the auto ecu will work fine... at least for the 2000 model. 02 and on have some issues however it is not the ecu per se itself...just follow the tutorial as to which wires to splice together... its all there... roman did a hell of a job with that write up. the only things i should point out are that he went with a 2g (95-99 eclipse) starter clutch and flywheel when he did the original swap/ writeup. that is because the 2g had more aftermarket support and things were cheaper. however now there is a plethora of clutches etc for the 3g so if you use parts made for the 3g it eliminates the need to change the starter etc... its just more straight forward