Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Keith6110

Intercooler mounting

21 posts in this topic

I'm scratching my head about where I'm going to be mounting my intercooler this summer.  I put my JDM old syle on and see I have little room to play with.  The intercooler I have is 3in thick =/

I feel like I'm going to need to cut my bumper a little in the inside in order to get the 3 inches.  Almost seems hopeless and I'll have to go for a thinner IC...

I'll update later with measurement pics.  I was just wondering where you guys have your IC =)

Cut bumper = more than likely. Measure from the inside of the bumper to the rad. support to see how much room you really have to play with.

I'll cut the very bottom part, but I don't want to cut anything to ruin the overall look.  I might just have to trade IC's with my bro =/

Keith,

Not sure how different the front of the USDM 8G to the JDM 8G is, but I squeezed in an 80mm (3 1/8") FMIC, I had to modify the bottom edge of the crash bar on each side with a ball pien hammer, just to curl the bottom edge very slightly, maybe a 1/16" - 3/64" but this gave me clearance of a bee's dick so the FMIC doesn't contact the crash bar !

DSCF6143.jpg?t=1305532122

DSCF6138.jpg?t=1305532122

omg!  I need the crash bar you guys have lol.  My current setup will allow no crash bar unfortunately =/

lmao @ Bee's dick clearence! 

Did you have to modify your bumper at all?  I really appreciate the pics!  I'll try to set it up the same way and take pics to show what I have to deal with.  Have any bumper close-ups by any chance?

Here's a few pics and measurements.  I think I'll have to cut my bumper.  I just want to get future mod preparations taken care of before I add paint to my car.

To the uncut bumper from the radiator support:

IMG_20110516_104755.jpg

This would be where I think it will need to be cut (to seem even possible for fitment).

[img width=800 height=597] IMG_20110516_104941.jpg

My intercooler's actual size thickness:

[img width=800 height=597] IMG_20110516_105140.jpg

No modifications to the bumper at all Kieth !

DSCF6145.jpg?t=1305579166

DSCF6146.jpg?t=1305579166

Though I have since  modified the bumper and crash bar courtesy of a Roo @ 100kph + ....ouch  >:( :( >:(

So what your saying is.  But the IC in and put the bolts and clips in the bumper haha!  I don't think we have the same radiator to bumper clearance.  How thick is your intercooler?

Lmao! @ hitting a Roo!  We don't have them just jumping around here.  I figure it's about the same as us hitting a deer.  Anyway, sucks to hear about the bumper mods lol.

Switch to a 2.5" thick core but overall a little bigger than the mouth of the bumper. That will leave a little bit of a lip on the mouth while filling the whole mouth.

Was only a half grown Roo, about the size if a Great Dane, put it this way, it didn't feel it, but i did sure did.

Core Size 600 x 300 x 80mm (24 x 12 x 3 1/8")

Wonder whether a JDM crash bar and bumper would be a straight fit onto a USDM 8G !

Switch to a 2.5" thick core but overall a little bigger than the mouth of the bumper. That will leave a little bit of a lip on the mouth while filling the whole mouth.

Thats a long IC!  I would go this route but already bought one I liked =/  If I cant figure something out for it, I'll have to buy something different.

Was only a half grown Roo, about the size if a Great Dane, put it this way, it didn't feel it, but i did sure did.

Core Size 600 x 300 x 80mm (24 x 12 x 3 1/8")

Wonder whether a JDM crash bar and bumper would be a straight fit onto a USDM 8G !

Thanks for the measurements! 

I bet the JDM crash bar would fit onto the car.  A jdm crash bar is probably going to get expensive after shipment.  We have a car over here called a Mitsubishi Mirage.  It's a small 2dr and I'm going to get a hold of a crash bar from there. 

This is the bumper I'll be using:

100_0601.jpg

I'll do a bit of a dig through ASA and see if I can cross reference a crash bar from a model you have access to, (we have Mirages here too)

The Part # for the crash bar is MR574591, on checking ASA it is only fitted to the the JDM 8G Legnum/Galant range, no other model !

ApplicModels.jpg?t=1305705652

[img width=800 height=622] BumperAssembly.jpg?t=1305704990

I have a contact in Japan, if the Mirage crash bar is a no go, who is very good for getting parts and shipping them internationally, all I have to do is search Yahoo.jp and get the auction # then send him a email with details and my maximum bid, he then sends me a shipping estimate and if i say go about 10 days later it arrives, if you want his details just PM me...

And here is a link to a site that translates Yahoo Japan auctions to make it easier to find your bits and pieces,

JDM Galant Parts  http://www.importmonster.com.au/yahoo?cat=0&term=%E3%82%AE%E3%83%A3%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3

JDM Legnum Parts  http://www.importmonster.com.au/yahoo?cat=0&term=%E3%83%AC%E3%82%B0%E3%83%8A%E3%83%A0

Damn!  You are an absolute life saver! 

Lifesavers_logo_453.jpg

I wish I had the program you have, it looks handy.  Anyway thanks a ton for the help.  I'll see if I can get the mirage crash bar to work out for me.  If not, you'll have a pm =)

i was thinking instead of a JDM crash bar, maybe a 7g?? cause the JDM 8g shares many parts with the 7g.

7g crash bar is Hellahuge.lol I dont know if it wold work behind the 8g jdm but I do know that it wont work for the 7g jdm.

7g crash bar is Hellahuge.lol I dont know if it wold work behind the 8g jdm but I do know that it wont work for the 7g jdm.

bummer lol.  Sounds like it wont work.  I just need something that will bolt in and provide some support just incase something were to happen.  I would hate to total the car because of some tard in front of my or something. 

I ran without a car bar ever since my 2nd 7th gen which was about 6 years ago and have had zero problems yet.