Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jmiller2224

00 galant tranny question

13 posts in this topic

ok i bought a used tranny from a local shop here in nc and the tranny is just a little diff mine has a filter on top of it and my dipstick is straight the one i got from him has no filter on it at all and the dipstick is crooked to the side. my main quuestion is what did thid tranny com out of. he told me the a 00 galant cause its the only year that would work in it. idk weather i can use it or not its a 4cyl  sorry forgot to mention that. but it looks diff then mine so if someone could give me some info on this id b greatful cause if it aint right im taking it back

You probably have gotten the correct transmission.  I'm going to assume you have a 1999 Galant.  The 1999 Galant was the only transmission they used it our cars with an external filter, from 2000-2003 there is no filter (or it is internal).  I also believe the dipstick is changed too as far as location. 

Hope this helps.

my title says its a 2000 model not a 1999 but the 2000 is soupose to have an internal filter? so i got the right 1 for my car then? ill get some pics up when i get home  to show yall

good info keith. jonathan, first things first, does the bellhousing look as if it can accept the waterneck after being bolted to the motor? what i mean by this is on the v6 driven transmissions there is a section on the top of the bellhousing that sinks down as if it would be going under something once bolted to the motor. now if that part of the bellhousing isnt present, take it back now. but if it does, lets continue. as keith said with the external filters, dimensionally it needs to be the same as well. please make certain this didnt come from a diamante or a likely but unlikely sister chassis car (yards tend to get it wrong when it comes to interchangeable parts between manufacturers). thirdly, we look forward to getting the pics as that would help massively.

well its a 4ycl not a v6 idk if u were compareing them or not i am just throwing that out there lol but yea once i get home ill take some pics of the new trans to show yall im bout done with work so i shouldnt b to much longer. and ill check for that did as well thanks for the info so far guys i hope yall keep it coming im not a import guy yet lol this is my first one ive always been a v8 guy so every bit of info helps lol

you're fine, that looks like what you need for sure. that circular piece by the dip stick is that what you were referring to as an external filter? that is just the casting. nothing goes there.

yea what had me confused was that mine in the car now has a filter there in that spot but its a 2000 model according to the registration. i couldnt figure out why this one didnt have it if mine was right

well i just looked in the door jam of the car and it said manurfactured in sept 1999 will the 2000 tranny still work in my car

You probably have gotten the correct transmission.  I'm going to assume you have a 1999 Galant.  The 1999 Galant was the only transmission they used it our cars with an external filter, from 2000-2003 there is no filter (or it is internal).  I also believe the dipstick is changed too as far as location. 

Hope this helps.

Some 2000's did come with the external filter, mine did and was a 2000.

J miller you will be fine with that trans. There is no differnce between them save the filter

Looks like the correct transmission to me.  On the V6's the starter location is at 4:00 instead of 2:00 when facing the open part of the bell housing.

I know a 99 transmission would put an 01+ in limp mode due to the ECU, but the other way around u should be fine

but thats definitely a i4 transmission

thanks for all the help guys ima put it in this afternoon i wouls do the 5 speed swap but my gurl drive it to and she cant drive a  5 speed just my luck lol