Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
greddy

Oil/Transmission coolers

11 posts in this topic

I will be switching to an all aluminum radiator soon which means I need an external ATF cooler, is anyone currently running one with any success.  Also, is anyone running an oil cooler on their car, I know that it's relatively simple I was hoping to see other people's setups before diving in if possible.

Look into the Derale brands with a fan. The transmission coolers without fans only do so much, to really make it worth the time and investment you really want something with a fan unit on it as well.

Oil coolers I am not sure about any specific brands off the top of my head...somebody else may have some more input on that for you.

i actually have two oil coolers for sale right now. one is an oil cooler for a BMW M# CSL Euro. i modded it to fit so it would mount with some more fabbing in the front airdam opening. it has -8 fittings that go to a Permacool oil thermostat and then finally back to a Permacool sandwich adapter. if you are interested i will post pics here. i have the lines for it as well which are Aeroquip Starlite hoses. i also have a flexilite tranny/oil cooler still in the box. let me know if you want pics of them and if you do, shoot me an offer. i have a price in mind already so...

Went from the standard 26mm plastic tank radiator (which split) to a 50mm all Aluminium Radiator, and had to go down the Oil Cooler path, I used a 2010 V8 Landcrusier Alloy Oil Cooler, which I only needed to TIG 1 additional bracket onto and a little bending of the original brackets to make it fit where I wanted...

DSCF5394.jpg

DSCF5182.jpg

DSCF5193.jpg

TIG'd up a air dam out of 2.5mm aluminium sheet to direct air from front bumper & through the cooler ..

DSCF5156.jpg

Bj if you could post pics of the csl cooler that would be great. I'm assuming the sandwhich adaptor will work with the 4g64?

Went from the standard 26mm plastic tank radiator (which split) to a 50mm all Aluminium Radiator, and had to go down the Oil Cooler path, I used a 2010 V8 Landcrusier Alloy Oil Cooler, which I only needed to TIG 1 additional bracket onto and a little bending of the original brackets to make it fit where I wanted...

DSCF5394.jpg

DSCF5182.jpg

DSCF5193.jpg

TIG'd up a air dam out of 2.5mm aluminium sheet to direct air from front bumper & through the cooler ..

DSCF5156.jpg

I like that idea for the old style bumper. Good for a turbo oil cooler....

^yeah I was looking at that, are you currently using that transmission cooler?  If so, what sort of modifications did you have to do to attach it to the tranny, etc.

Thanks for the input so far guys. 

Bj if you could post pics of the csl cooler that would be great. I'm assuming the sandwhich adaptor will work with the 4g64?

I have a glowshift sandwhich adapter that I am using. Its for an evo but works great

^yeah I was looking at that, are you currently using that transmission cooler?  If so, what sort of modifications did you have to do to attach it to the tranny, etc.

Thanks for the input so far guys.

No. im 5 speed. The mishimoto brings all the hardware for the install.  It should be simple. I was looking at the other universal kit they have for my turbo.

Just look at you current radiator. It has a in and out outlid for the trani oil. Same thing with the aftermarket cooler. You need to mount it somewhere air will pass or flow to cool the cooler.

Martin, sorry this took so long to post. here are the two coolers i was talking about. the first is the M3 cooler, lines, thermostat, and sandwich adapter. everything but the brackets as i was going to install this setup on egokiller. shoot me a text or pm about getting these if you want otherwise they are going on KSL. the second is the flex-a-lite tranny cooler still brand new in the box.

DSCN3757.jpg

DSCN3760.jpg

DSCN3761.jpg

DSCN3762.jpg