Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jmiller2224

replaced trans still not shifting what else could b the problem ?

27 posts in this topic

i just replaced the transmission in my 2000 galant and its still not shifting outta 2nd gear. im all outta ideas on what the problem is. its a 2.4. park netueral and reverse work fine it just wont run oiutta 2nd gear it done the same thing with the other transmission i just took out. does anyone know whst the problem is?

The PCM (ultimately the ECU), is what controls the engine and powertrain (transmission).

Curious, is this an 8th Gen or?

Was the complete transmission changed?

if the transmission is not shifting out of second gear then it sounds like possibly a bad solenoid in the valvebody, or possibly a short/cut wire in the harness going to that connector but it is difficult to say. It could be as simple as a faulty PRNDL switch on the transmission where it should be closing the "Drive" circuit, but may actually be closing a lower gear circuit thus limiting the transmission from going beyond 2nd gear.

yea its and 8th gen yea the whole trans was changed the only thing used from the old trans was the tourqe converter. were is the pcm located at and if it was bad wouldnt the motor run off 2 cause it is runnin off a little its spuddering kinda bad

Well the torque converter shouldn't be the cause of the problem since it would either move the car, or it wouldn't at all if it was bad.

The PCM is located behind the blower motor assembley on the inside of the passenger side firewall. If the PCM is bad, you might have other issues as well though. I am diggging through the FSM currently to find some more details for Diag on the problem.

thanks let me no as soon as u can i beenbattleing this problem for 2 years i finaly replaced the trans and im still haveing the same problem

I should note that you can flip your A/T relay and fuel pump relays as they are the same, if the car runs with these swapped around then you know the A/T Relay is still good, take it for a drive around the block to see if shifting issue is eliminated. If the car will not run, then try to get a new A/T relay and start there first before going too much further into expensive parts right away.

ECU is in limp mode for something.  Mitsubishi sets limp mode on our cars to stay in 2nd gear.

Good call Jigz, start checking your fuses in the relay box under the hood.

so how many quarts of fluid is this thing suposes to hold when its dead empty cause ive put 6 in it so far and its still reading low

ok then guess ill pick some more up. i just read the code on it its a p0705 transmission cuircut malfuntion where should i start

just out of curiousity, ur car is a 2000, what year did ur transmission come from?....if its not a 99 or a 2000 u will be stuck in limp mode due to the 01+ transmissions having more codes/diagnostics in the ECU

Curious question...did you ever disconnected your battery before you finished installing the new transmission?

Reason behind this is because if you were having the same "stuck in 2nd" issue with the old transmission and for some reason the ECU went into Limp mode, the ECU is still thinking you have the same transmission if you never disconnected the battery.

do a 5spd swap :-p no CEL on a 2000 :)

to be honest, im assuming you either got a bad trans or a bad torque converter or maybe its your ECU...there is no way 2 transmission can be stuck in limp mode unless there's something wrong with ur ECU

Why we are calling a automatic computer ECU? ECU is for manual trani. PCM is for automatic comp.

Anyways.

H8 rom. This computer does not include the trani codes. So theres another computer, i think by the center concil doing all the shifting. I have to get some diagrams.

1. You need to find the a/t computer and replace.

2.PCM is bad and it needs to be reflash or change.

3.check for any splice cable. Many time a rat comes in and start having a good dinner with the wires. Double check the wires going to the trani.

4.Did you check the relay like matt said? If is bad the shift selenoids wont work. Also u will get a code for the relay.