MrGalantguy

Evo Brembo vs. 3KGT VR4 caliper comparison

57 posts in this topic

I have both calipers in my possesion and decided to take some measurements for anyone that is curious comparing the 2 calipers.

Obviously Evo 4 piston Brembos are made by Brembo. They will bolt on to 8g USDM Galant knuckles and if you want to bolt them to 7g's..you will need 8g JDM VR4/VRG/V6 Viento/ and some diesel 8g Galants front knuckles or adapter brackets.

The 3KGT VR4 4 piston calipers are made by Sumitumo and were OEM equipped on 3000GT/GTO VR4's and Dodge Stealth R/T's. The 3KGT VR4's 4 pots have "Mitsubishi" casted on them while the Dodge Stealth R/T's DO NOT have anything stamp casted.

There are 2 versions of the 3Kgt VR4 calipers:

"1st Gen" (1991-1993) 1st gens had 11.5" front rotors and 10" rotors in the rear

"2nd Gen" (1994-1999) 2nd gens had 12.3" front rotors and 11.5 rear rotors Size increase due to bump in power in powerplant

IMAG0606.jpg

Here are measurements of both calipers for comparison:

3KGT VR4 Sumitumo                                            Evo Brembo

Piston diameter                              39.2mm                                                                  35.2mm

Piston spacing                                18mm                                                                      21.5mm

Caliper Width                                  5.83in                                                                    5.7in

Caliper Length                                  8.5in                                                                      11in

Observations

The Evo Brembos are larger mass wise...when it comes to piston size they are pretty close in size. The Sumitumo pistons are slightly larger than the Brembos, but if you look at the piston spacing (Space between the pistons) the Evo's are spaced out wider. This allows the Evo Brembos to have a larger brake pad and apply a larger brake area on the rotor which will allow better braking effenciency and heat dissapation.

IMG_1454.jpg

Weight wise comparing the 2 calipers...you would think the Brembos are heavier. I wasn't able to weigh the calipers, but by just judging it...there isnt much difference in weight between the 2. The mounting points are the same on both calipers which means you can mount 3kGT calipers on any application the Evo Brembos will bolt on to.

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

As I get more information related to this topic I will continue to post info here on this thread.

Edited by MrGalantguy

Kev, i love you for this. I want to add to this by showing all of you that the Cadillac CTS-V Brembos also fit with very little modification. And they are massively cheaper than the Evo Brembos. We are talking literally under $200 from the dealer!!! Once my friend has his talon down in the shop ill take pics and measurements. But just to let everyone know who cant afford Evo Brembos there is an alternative to better braking for far less money. Oh and yes i said talon. Its a 2g style but they still almost bolted up with no mods, he ended up doing a bracket but they would fit like normal apparently on applications that the evo brembos would fit on.

I love the vr4 front calipers since the show the mitsubishi on them. Are the rear vr4 ones 2 pot?

so what rotor would one need to get to take advantage of these or the ones from the CTS V?  really liking those 3000 Gt one and they are very reasonable.

Information on cross application on these calipers are very limited...its safe to say for whatever application the caliper is for, the same goes for the rotors needed to use with the caliper.

3KGT Vr4 4 pots calipers go for a ballpark price of $250ish for both calipers maybe cheaper for the Dodge Stealth R/T version since they don't have nothing cast stamped on them unlike the 3KGT ones with Mitsubishi.

so then we gonna need to put an extension bracket as the gt rotors are bigger then the 8g rotor.  i love the look of these !!  dont mind me if i don't know what i am talking about lol  :-\

so then we gonna need to put an extension bracket as the gt rotors are bigger then the 8g rotor.  i love the look of these !!  dont mind me if i don't know what i am talking about lol  :-\

No...the Sumitomo calipers should bolt right up and just install 3kgt VR4 fronts rotors, no need to use adapter brackets.

If you see the pic of the Sumitomo calipers on the mounting points of the knuckles you can see they match the mounting points. My knuckles are jdm knuckles from a 8g vr4, so they are identical to the mounting points on the usdm 8g knuckles.

you can pick up remanufactered front 3kgt calipers from rock auto for 68 a peice. The rears are like 110

to run these you would need just the rotor correct? Well besides all the like botls and stuff

you can pick up remanufactered front 3kgt calipers from rock auto for 68 a peice. The rears are like 110

to run these you would need just the rotor correct? Well besides all the like botls and stuff

please do remember there are two lower trims of the 3kgt that do not use these calipers so make sure they are vr4 calipers and not the two pot sliding calipers that mitsu decided to use with the lower trims.

Hey guys.

As a 3000GT owner, I figured I'd stick my head in and say a few things.

First off, the VR4 brakes didn't ALL have "Mitsubishi" on them, just certain years. I can't recall, but I believe it ended in 1994. I know that's not much of a big deal, but I figured I'd point it out.

Also, the first gen VR4 brakes (91-93) are different than 2nd gen (94-99). 2nd gen brakes are larger, both front and rear. I'm not sure about the mounting points, but I do believe that you have to swap knuckles when going from first and second gen brakes.

4-G-rim, what year did those brakes come off of? That's going to be fairly important.

Also, the 3000GT SL and Base models had the same brakes, and they are slightly larger than stock 8g brakes. But I mean millimeters. You'd be better off getting VR4 brakes.

And, if you're not opposed to getting used parts, check out 3si.org and 3sgto.org for part out threads... I got a pair of first gen VR4 front calipers with the raised lettering for an AMAZING price a few months back.

Part outs aren't going as quickly as hoped over there, so you might be able to get a great deal on some parts.

please do remember there are two lower trims of the 3kgt that do not use these calipers so make sure they are vr4 calipers and not the two pot sliding calipers that mitsu decided to use with the lower trims.

Yeah I checked them they are even pictured with the raised lettering

Hey guys.

As a 3000GT owner, I figured I'd stick my head in and say a few things.

First off, the VR4 brakes didn't ALL have "Mitsubishi" on them, just certain years. I can't recall, but I believe it ended in 1994. I know that's not much of a big deal, but I figured I'd point it out.

Also, the first gen VR4 brakes (91-93) are different than 2nd gen (94-99). 2nd gen brakes are larger, both front and rear. I'm not sure about the mounting points, but I do believe that you have to swap knuckles when going from first and second gen brakes.

4-G-rim, what year did those brakes come off of? That's going to be fairly important.

Also, the 3000GT SL and Base models had the same brakes, and they are slightly larger than stock 8g brakes. But I mean millimeters. You'd be better off getting VR4 brakes.

And, if you're not opposed to getting used parts, check out 3si.org and 3sgto.org for part out threads... I got a pair of first gen VR4 front calipers with the raised lettering for an AMAZING price a few months back.

Part outs aren't going as quickly as hoped over there, so you might be able to get a great deal on some parts.

Thank you for posting additional information...great info to know when other may be looking to upgrade.

Not sure what year these came off...most likely a 1st gen 3kgt vr4, as these were bday gift from my best friend.

I've been trolling around on 3si for over three years now. All that time spent reading threads about mods I'll never be able to afford left me with a very large cache of worthless 3000GT/Stealth knowledge.

That was a seller who knew nothing about the parts being sold.

My least favorite kind of seller! NOT!

Those looked like first gen calipers. Honestly, you can get them for cheaper than that, but if those were in great condition, it wouldn't have been a terrible deal. Like I said, I paid almost nothing for mine in a part out a few months back.

So just purchased a set of front calipers from 3si.org the 1G version, while those are coming i was reading up for the rear calipers.  I found this write up on 3sx.com  http://www.3sx.com/faq/nabrakes/  showing what is needed although they mention the 2nd gen calipers needing the 2nd gen knuckles, it seems that the rear we can use the 2nd gen Rear calipers with the stock knuckles but for the rotors we have to get rotors from the  non turbo gt (there is a picture at the bottom of the different sizing in top hat being the reason). a 1/4 of the rear pad will not make contact with the rotor because of the size but does not hinder performance.  I was looking at the 2nd gen cause they look so much better then the 1st gen.  I am going to try to hunt for a rear and test them out and if they fit well take them apart and powder coat them.

I'll be test fitting them this weekend  ;D, still searching for the rears but going with the 2nd gen with the mitsubishi stamp very hard to find but i am patient

IMAG0230.jpg

Kev, i love you for this. I want to add to this by showing all of you that the Cadillac CTS-V Brembos also fit with very little modification. And they are massively cheaper than the Evo Brembos. We are talking literally under $200 from the dealer!!! Once my friend has his talon down in the shop ill take pics and measurements. But just to let everyone know who cant afford Evo Brembos there is an alternative to better braking for far less money. Oh and yes i said talon. Its a 2g style but they still almost bolted up with no mods, he ended up doing a bracket but they would fit like normal apparently on applications that the evo brembos would fit on.

Under $200 for all four from the dealer?? Or is that for each??

Kevin I would like to point out that the caliper u used isn't accurate. On the back it should say +/- 0.2mm or something close. I know it isn't much but if someone is looking for exact measurement then just keep that in consideration too.

Just a reminder as previously stated by some one:

You need first generation calipers wich went up to 94. the later years had something diffrent done to the bracket or such. The brackets for all the conversions are for 1st gen calipers and second gen rotors

I am currently running 1993 calipers with 1999 rotors from stop tech. 

The 1993 rotors are 11.6"

The 1999 rotors are 12.5"

Here they are behind my 17's

IMG_9105.jpg

1st gen rotors on top of the 2nd gen

[img width=800 height=600] IMG_9102.jpg

[img width=600 height=800] IMG_9103.jpg

I'll be test fitting them this weekend  ;D, still searching for the rears but going with the 2nd gen with the mitsubishi stamp very hard to find but i am patient

Why don't you go with evo 8 rears? direct bolt on. i read that the 3kgt ones need washers and spacers to work.