Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beam514

8G Cruise Control w/ 5 Speed swap

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys! It's summer and that means more time for me to come back to the forums again :)

Anyway, I wanted to get my cruise control working again after my five speed swap. For those that don't know, when you perform the 5 speed swap on the 8G, you must short out pins 9 and 10 on connector B-39 (to the transmission) so that the ECU thinks the car is in park, and thus allows for power to be transmitted to the starter motor. In order for cruise control to work, pins 9 and 10 must not be connected, so my previous method of making this work was to have a switch that opened up the circuit (pins 9 and 10) when cruise control was desired.

The problem with this was 1) my wiring was shotty and not very safe and 2) the ECU will then spit out an error code because it is now looking for signals from the solenoids in the now non-existent automatic transmission. After reviewing some diagrams though, I believe there is a way to get around this by just tricking the cruise control ECU.

As can be seen in the attached diagram, current flows from the cruise control ECU to pin 10 on the B-39 connector. I believe that the cruise control does not engage when this circuit is closed (ie pins 9 and 10 are connected), SO the easy way to get cruise control to work would be to put a switch here to create an open circuit when cruise control is desired. Any thoughts/anyone know where the cruise control ECU is?

EDIT: nevermind, I found the cruise control ECU. It is located in the cabin, behind the stereo.

post-262-135279482216_thumb.jpg

post-262-135279482225_thumb.jpg

post-262-135279482246_thumb.jpg

Well, I can tell you now that clipping wire #13 (black-yellow) for the cruise control ECU does not work.. back to the drawing board

Lol keep at it Adrian.  I have to set of my own cruise control switch as the evo wheel doesn't have controls on the steering wheel.

how are you doing the wiring? Are you just going to open up pins 9 and 10 on the B-39 when you want to cruise?

My original option was to just have a relay go to a switch inside the cabin. I am not super experienced with electrical though and have never done a relay, so not sure where I should draw the power from (maybe the cigarette lighter?). I was going to use a 5 pin relay so that when the relay is off, the car can start (pins 9 and 10 connected). When the relay is on, it opens up pins 9 and 10.

post-262-135279482251_thumb.png

do you only need pins 9 and 10 connected to start the car? and its fine to disconnect them when it is running?

why not put a switch behind the clutch pedal so you have to push the clutch down to start it and then when you are in gear with the clutch up you can use cruise.

If you push the clutch down when you are cruising it would stop the cruise control?

i don't know, just brainstorming, i kinda want to get mine to work too.

do you only need pins 9 and 10 connected to start the car? and its fine to disconnect them when it is running?

Correct, you can disconnect the pins once the car is running. I had done this previously but wanted to be able to do it without popping up a transmission error code. Also, you can modify the target idle rpms when the car is in "drive" to match those of when it is in neutral using EcuFlash.

why not put a switch behind the clutch pedal so you have to push the clutch down to start it and then when you are in gear with the clutch up you can use cruise.

If you push the clutch down when you are cruising it would stop the cruise control?

I tried this previously but realized that this meant that the transmission code would always pop up, no matter what, because pins 9 and 10 would be disconnected when the clutch pedal was not pressed down. This would cause problems when I have to go do the SMOG check because they will fail you for any service codes that may pop up during the test.

oh really?? so if i clear my codes they wont come back unless pins 9 and 10 come disconnected?

or did you do somthing else? because mine throws all the tranny codes.

ohh that's right, I should clarify. The codes will stay cleared only for 99-00 cars (or is it up until 2001? I can't remember). 2001+ the codes will always be on anyway. So if you don't care about the codes, then you can do the method that Daniel (dknight3) has mentioned, where you put a switch on the clutch pedal.

But yes, at least for the 1999 cars, you can clear the code and it won't show up again until pins 9 and 10 are disconnected.

cool thanks for clarification!

i was thinking about getting the evoscan or whatever and deleting those codes if possible, but it really doesnt bother me that much.

ill try putting a switch in and see if that does the trick for me.